Steps to follow
1. Make a complaint to your local police station in the country of residence and obtain a Police report/Statutory Declaration as soon as possible
2. Submit the duly filled application form together with Police report to the nearest Sri Lanka Diplomatic Mission or Consulate.
3. Sri Lankan Diplomatic Mission or Consulate shall transmit to the Immigration Department in Sri Lanka the details of the stolen or lost passport. Upon receipt of such information, necessary measures will be taken to cancel the stolen, lost or missing passport.
Passport reported lost or stolen can no longer be used for travel. The details of cancellation will be automatically shared worldwide through INTERPOL to avoid misuse. Never use the lost passport again. You are strongly advised to obtain a new passport immediately to avoid inconvenience.
If you find another person’s lost Sri Lankan passport, please mail it trough registered post to the address below.
Consulate General of Sri Lanka Melbourne
Suite 536, No.1 Queens Road,
- Never use a Passport reported stolen or lost.
- Passport reported stolen or lost are invalidated and can no longer be used for travel.
- The information you provide regarding a Stolen or Lost Passport will be entered in our Stolen/Lost Passport System and automatically shared internationally through INTERPOL.
- If you recover the passport after you have reported it lost or stolen, please submit it to the address listed above. When you submit it, if requested – we will cancel it and return it to you. If not requested, it will be destroyed.
- Once a passport is reported lost or stolen, it cannot be re-validated.
All applicants who hold Permanent Residence or Temporary Residence Visas and Student Visas and who wish to apply for a New Sri Lankan Passport in lieu of Lost or Stolen Passport should submit the following documents along with the duly completed application form K and Form D (in duplicate).
Fees for issuing Travel Documents in lieu of lost passport
New passport in lieu of lost passport A$ 400.00(If a photocopy of lost passport Photo data page available)
New passport in lieu of lost passport A$ 500.00(If a photocopy of lost passport Photo data page is not available)
Emergency Certificate Non-Machine Readable Passport (NMRP) in lieu of lost to travel to Sri Lanka Only
Passport (NMRP) along with the Lost passport application A$ 30.00
Passport (NMRP) A$ 180.00 (Special Circumstances)
Payment should be made in Cash at the counter or by Postal Orders/ Bankers Draft drawn in favour of the “Consulate General of Sri Lanka” if sent by post. Personal or Company cheques and credit cards are not accepted
ONCE YOUR APPLICATION IS ACCEPTED
1.It will be forwarded to the Overseas Missions Division of the Immigration and Emigration Department in Colombo. If all the required documents are submitted, it normally takes around 8-10 weeks to receive the new passport. This Mission cannot guarantee the issuance of a passport within a specific period
Once we receive your new passport at this mission you will be informed in writing or by phone. You are required to bring your Cash Receipt to this Mission on any working day between 9.30 a.m. & 1.30 p.m. in order to collect your new passport.
2.If you are unable to collect the new passport personally you should authorize your representative in writing to collect your passport on your behalf. The representative should provide an authorization letter along with the Cash Receipt and his/her photo identification.
3. On your request, your new passport may be returned to you by post.
Note: The Mission will not take any responsibility for documents lost in the post.