ELIGIBILITY FOR A SRI LANKAN PASSPORT
You can obtain a Sri Lankan passport if you are – A Sri Lankan Citizen by descent or by registration.
VALIDITY PERIOD OF A PASSPORT
Currently issuing N series passports are valid 10 years unless otherwise specified.
All applicants who hold Permanent Residence or Temporary Residence Visas and Student Visas and who wish to apply for a New Sri Lankan Passport against different cases (ten years expiry of present passport, page exhausted, physically damaged, and new born baby) other than lost Sri Lankan passport, should submit the following documents along with the duly completed application form and other relevant supporting documents and are requested to follow the following
“Form K” could be obtained as a PDF Document by clicking on the link (Download Here)
DOCUMENT TO BE ATTACHED
1. Birth Certificate – issued by the Registrar General, District Registrar, Divisional Registrar. Photocopies certified by other parties and translations will not be accepted.
Note: Passports will be issued as per the name appears on the Original Sri Lankan Birth Certificate unless the name change has been done on the same by the Registrar General in Sri Lanka. Any change of names done abroad or the person’s current usage of a different name in a document issued by a foreign government will not be taken into consideration when issuing new passports.
2. Citizenship Certificate – if the applicant was born outside Sri Lanka, the Citizenship Certificate issued by the Citizenship Division of the Department of Immigration & Emigration in Colombo.
Note: If an applicant born outside Sri Lanka has reached 18 years, he/she should submit the Citizenship Certificate with the endorsement made by the Citizenship Division on the reverse of the certificate regarding the applicant’s continuation of the Sri Lankan nationality.
3. Original Current Passport – Current passport should be submitted along with one sets of photocopies of the following pages: Photo page, observation page if endorsed.
4. National Identity Card – issued by the Commissioner of Registration for Persons
5. Dual Citizenship Certificate – If you are a Dual Citizen – the Dual Citizenship Certificate
6. Marriage Certificate – If you wish to change the name consequent to marriage – Original Marriage Certificate. (Photocopies / copies certified by other parties / translations will not be accepted)
7. A letter, Professional certificates or Licence – For the inclusion of profession or occupation
Note: Applicants will be required to produce acceptable documentary proof of his/her qualification and/or being engaged in the relevant profession.
8. “VEVO” (Visa Entitlement Verification Online) from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship in Australia(Please visit).This certificate can be obtained free of charge from the Australian Immigration website in a PDF format, This should be a recent one, obtained not more than a month prior to submitting the application for passport to this Consulate General in Melbourne.
9. Foreign passport copy-observation page of foreign passport copy (if available)
Fees for issuing Travel Documents
Passport All Countries A$ 180.00
Penalty fee of A$5 will be applicable for each year, maximum period of 5 years from expiry.
Payment should be made in Cash at the counter or by Postal Orders/ Bankers Draft drawn in favour of the “Consulate General of Sri Lanka” if sent by post. Personal or Company cheques and credit cards are not accepted.
Once your application is accepted;
1. It will be forwarded to the Overseas Missions Division of the Immigration and Emigration Department in Colombo. If all the required documents are submitted, it normally takes around 8-10 weeks to receive the new passport. This Mission cannot guarantee the issuance of a passport within a specific period.
Note: During the processing of new passports the Controller Immigration and Emigration cancels the old passport and therefore applicants are advised to refrain from traveling to Sri Lanka until the receipt of the new passport.
2. Once we receive your new passport at this mission you will be informed in writing or by phone. You are required to bring the current passport/emergency passport (if retained by you) along with your Cash Receipt to this Mission on any working day between 9.30 a.m. & 1.30 p.m. in order to collect your new passport.
3. If you are unable to collect the new passport personally you should authorize your representative in writing to collect your passport on your behalf. The representative should provide an authorization letter along with the Cash Receipt and his/her photo identification.
4. On your request, your new passport & current passport/emergency passport may be returned to you by post.Note: The Mission will not take any responsibility for documents lost in the post.
Submission of forged Birth Certificates or any other documents and making false declarations relating to the citizenship status is an offence. Such cases will be reported to relevant authorities and payment will not be refunded.